Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Ballerina


Tippy toed I paint the canvas of my dreams
Whirling, twirling, dancing, prancing
Nature’s child, from nature, to nature
I come to fulfil my destiny



Inspiration can come from anywhere, from within and without, from the touch of a hand, the scent of nature, the memory of a moment and even the sound of silence. Alas, it kept running away from me these past few days; the more I tried to catch it, the faster it ran until I laid my eyes on ‘The Ballerina’. The drawing below was made almost a decade ago by an intellectually challenged girl who aspired to be a ballerina. I had bought it then and after a couple of house moves it ended up in some part of my storage till recently.



   The Ballerina. A little girls dream

Not too long ago I drew the artwork below on a much larger scale.  I believed then that I had been inspired by the whirling dervishes of Konya. Today as I look at ‘The Ballerina’ which has finally emerged from my store,  I am not convinced that the dance of the sufis was my only inspiration. I know now that the little girl’s dream had stayed with me all all these years.
  


Untitled by Huma


No comments:

Post a Comment