Monday, September 28, 2015

I want to hear from you

Expression through paint and brush comes far more naturally to me than writing, however, I was compelled to write 'Wrapped in Blue' so that I could share the most significant part of my life with you through Zoya and Zaki.

Talking about my own mental illness and the ups and downs of raising Zaki was important not only because it liberated me from hiding behind the mask of perfection and seeking societal approbation but also because I believe that one silence broken can pave the way for other voices struggling to be heard.

I hope that my WIB in some small way contributes to the acceptance of mental health illnesses and special needs, especially in societies where a person who seeks help through a psychiatrist is considered 'cuckoo,' 'nuts' or 'crazy' and a child with special needs is thought of as inferior or a burden.

Read my book and lets start a dialogue. I would love to hear what you think. Let us learn from each other.

2 comments:

  1. Wrapped in blue is the most sensitive and touching book that I have ever read It reveals the love of a mother for her precious child ,her hopes ,fears,aspirations and teaches us never to give up hope ,trust in Allah Almighty,Great work Huma Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Zohra for your kind words. I am so happy to read that you have understood so well what I have tried to convey through my writing.

    ReplyDelete